Thursday, March 17, 2011

I’m sorry I stepped over you when you were getting mugged…

I couldn’t process what I was witnessing. You were squirming around on the ground underneath someone. Someone who I thought was a cop at first, who was arresting you. Because, why else would someone be on top of you, holding you down…holding your mouth shut…while people stood around and watched…people dressed all in black, with creepy white masks on. Okay, okay, obviously something’s wrong here.

Now I’m slowing down and craning my neck to see what’s going to happen. Should I call the police? I should have called the police right then and there. My friend Abby says that she read a book which theorizes that our brain’s have problems processing situations we haven’t been in before. That our reaction time is slower when our brain doesn’t have a similar situation to compare what happened and what we did in the past. This is what happened to me when I saw this guy getting mugged. I’ve never seen this before and I could feel the inactivity of my brain, trying sluggishly to figure out what I was seeing and what I should do about it. I know it sounds cliché, but everything was in slow-mo. I still feel bad about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment