Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Ain't Your Tina Marie

From home to downtown, the quickest route is usually a straight line. Straight down Eddy, and into the heart of the TL. I turn the corner and walk the six blocks...

Broken arm.
Eyebrows penciled in. Your forehead has been consumed by them. Faded to grey, just like you. The Joker now.
“Damn girl, girl, girl.”
Sometimes music will accompany me on this walk, but not today.
You were sitting on a doorstep as I passed. “Hey, Tina Marie, TINA MARIE.”
I keep walking.
You were being handcuffed on Eddy and Mason. At every corner, people turned their heads to watch. I didn’t cross the street like I usually do.
Gotta keep moving; don’t linger, don’t make eye contact, head up, eyes to the front, show no fear…
I don’t want to shake your hand.
Some kind of freaky Disneyland ride, keep your arms, and hands, in the vehicle at all times.
“Do you have fifty cents?”
Well, to tell you the truth, I do have 50 cents, but I told you no, because what you really wanted to know is if I’ll give it to you.

From downtown to home, probably repeat this in a few hours, unless it gets dark… then I’ll take O’farrell or Geary.

No comments:

Post a Comment