Friday, November 5, 2010

This Little Piggy Went to Market




It’s all the rage to buy locally grown, sustainable foods and I’m not ashamed to admit I’m a sucker for them. I love heading to the market with my reusable bags in tow. My favorite market is super close to where I live, and I think, a little cheaper than the market on the Embarcadero. My market occurs every Wednesday and Sunday in the Civic Center UN Plaza. Wednesdays and Sundays are a little different, not all the same growers show up for both days, and there’s only lunch spots like Roli Roti, which is open spit fire-roasted chicken with potatoes and yummy tamales and beans with cheese on Wednesdays for the people who work in the area.







My must haves from the market: butternut squash, especially after watching Jacques Pépin make a delicious soup with not much else but the squash, leaks and onions. Heirloom tomatoes, dried apricots, pistachios, honey, homemade chocolate almond brittle, Asian pears, peaches, fresh herbs, and a cornucopia of veggies, and of course, traditional kettle popped corn. My must haves depend on the season, which is amazing as this is not something I have to consider when shopping at the supermarket. Food really does taste better when it’s local and fresh and beautiful.




My haul and the delicious things I made with it...


An heirloom tomato salad with basil and cheese.


An apple tart! Yummy in my tummy! Another great and delicious afternoon at my market.

No comments:

Post a Comment