Thursday, April 14, 2011

Movies and Minestrone Soup

I'm sick today. I've been laying in the own filth until recently. I watched Eat Prey Love, and I've decided that I'm over Julia Roberts. I'm not entirely sure I was ever into her, but you know, the whole, she was so cute in Pretty Woman thing. And when does she NOT laugh in a movie. Maybe my mini-rant has to do with the fact that it's hard to get much needed R and R when you're ill and live in the Tenderloin.

Must rely on self-medication, which includes, but is not limited to: Wal-dryl (the cheaper knock-off brand of Benadryl from Walgreens), tissues, hot tea (usually left on my kitchen counter until cold and is in need of a warmup), lots of blankies, movies and soup.

Halfway through my movie the Vietnamese men who work on the building started to drill or pound, which vibrated my walls. It didn't last for long. But neither being in bed, which is in the closet, or on the couch, provides good quiet rest time in my apartment. These are times when I wish things were different. Like, if I lived in the country away from everyone and everything it would be quiet. I would only hear the rustling of the wind through trees outside my window, and not cars with horns, and trucks rumbling by, buses loading and unloading, or people talking loudly. Nor, would there be conversations that include Jorge, and songs like "My Girl," or people yelling for each other, affectionately, using the word I have to refer to as, the 'N' word.

When I'm sick I always think I should buy new living room curtains, because these sheer cream colored ones don't do the job for a mid-day nap. I would read, but my head feels too clogged up to put any words into it. I would try to lay down in bed, but it's in the closet, next to the hallway where people run up and down the stairs. I would try and sleep on the couch, but it's just too loud, because I can hear a transvestite asking, "Where you goin' gurl?"

In a place that's too noisy the best bet for me to get a nap is to drown out the noise with more noise. Instead of the country, I'll wish I had a machine that I could pick out a bunch of movies and it would play them for me in an uninterrupted succession, a Pandora for my Netflix. Because I'm like a little kid in the backseat of a car, if the car stops moving, I wake up. If the movie stops playing, the hustle and bustle of outside creeps back in, and I wake up. Because, I don't want to live in the country, I like it here.

I think my next movie will be GroundHog Day, since I watched it yesterday! It's only appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment