Thursday, April 21, 2011

Menagerie



Went to eat at Show Dogs.

I was unsure if I could write a review for this restaurant, since it’s located on Market at the intersection of Golden Gate and Taylor. The neighborhoods and districts run together in San Francisco. Since Show Dogs is on Market, I was trying to decide if it is in the Tenderloin, but after eating there today, I am convinced that it is indeed in the Tenderloin.

Sausage dogs, beers on draft, burgers, thin onion rings and fries, and pickles. Order at the counter and pick a seat. I usually get the Merguez dog with mustard and arugula. They were out of it this time cause it’s awesome. I ordered the Maple Bacon dog instead. It was so good that I was happy they were out of the Merguez. Eating habits can be hard to break. The boyfriend ordered the pulled pork. I didn't have any, but it looked yummy. On another visit I ordered the burger. It was delicious and juicy. It has a special sauce, but I like to put extra mustard on it too. Lots of spicy mustard! It drips, I need lots of napkins. I’m super messy. They use quality products, makes everything taste better.

One of the best parts about eating here is the people-watching, so choose your seat facing the window, or better yet, sit outside on a nice day and watch the spectacle in 3D. Bikers whizzing by, pink helmet. Watching people walking by while I’m sipping a coke with lemon, and my favorite part, crushed ice! On this visit after munching for a bit, I looked up to see a bum walking around outside, he looked a little dazed. He was clutching dirt stained jeans to hold them up while blood dripped from his nose and mouth. This is how I knew that the restaurant is indeed in the Tenderloin district. There was a man in an ill-fitting suit, smoking, trying to get people to buy his…lotions. It was a set of three. He kept lifting the lid of the box to give people a glimpse of the goods. So back-alley transaction. He made a sale! He had a friend on the other corner in a similar ill-fitting suit. There was an older couple, worn by the passage of time, and maybe, one too many acid trips. She was wearing a teal tank top, no bra, her buddah-belly hung over the top of her jeans. Highly entertaining people-watching.

The staff is friendly and competent. The food is good. Bonus: They have a television! Get a beer and watch one of the NBA playoff games, or just the foot traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment