Thursday, August 4, 2011

An Apple A Day

I was walking home from downtown, as I often do. In front of me two men had stopped to talk to a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk. He had his leg out in front of him, and proceeded to roll up his pant leg. I knew what was coming. I had seen something like this before. I tried my hardest not to look. I even shielded my eyes from the impending horror. But as I drew nearer, my eyes had a mind of their own, they wanted to see. I told myself not to look, but it was useless.

I was upon the scene. The homeless man had a huge bump on his leg from knee to ankle with a gash on it. It was fresh my friends, very fresh, as the blood had not coagulated yet. The men had immediately handed the guy a dollar, it was like a freak-peepshow. He needed a doctor, and as I walked by, getting my peep in for free, I heard them telling him so. I was grossed out for a few more blocks, thinking that they probably shouldn’t have given him the money, since it may instigate the situation. I thought, he’ll never go to the doctor, instead he’ll just keep reopening the wound, over and over again, grossing people out to make a little cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment