Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Turk and Larkin Deli

Lunchie Munchie time rolls around at some point everyday. I don’t like to make food when it’s only me, plus it’s easy to get something to eat around here, since there are tons of restaurants. I was being super lazy when the show, Check Please Bay Area, came on KQED, my PBS station, one afternoon. Side note: I heart PBS. If you haven’t seen the show, there’s a host that interviews three people who recommend their favorite restaurants, and the other two eat, and report back. Turk and Larkin Deli was on this particular episode, recommended as a good place for lunch by one of the ladies who works in the area. Only a block away from my house, and I had no idea it existed.

After the segment was over, I decided I would check it out, and report back. Upon arrival, I noticed that it was aptly named, Deli. I’ve never been to New York, a wrong I plan to correct in the near future, but this is what I imagine a NY deli to be like. Fake wood paneling on the walls. Lunch trays. A drab 70’s feel emanates from the décor. I ordered the roast chicken combo, which included 2 sides. I picked the pesto pasta salad with peas and carrots, and a Greek salad. I also got a chocolate chip cookie, and a coke, to top off my order. The cute older couple who own and run the place are friendly. The chicken was moist, while slightly spicy, with a paprika/herb rub. The chicken, and both salads, were tasty.

One of the guys on the show said it is a very scary neighborhood, and he was afraid for his safety! He may not want to return, but I’ll be back. I always say, I’d rather be around a bunch of crazies, than no one at all. The deli is open for lunch Monday through Friday.



Watch the segment here if you want, but skip to 6:52, TL represent!

No comments:

Post a Comment